Car is not necessary
Bankso is a historical and culture heritage town in south western Bulgaria, located at the foot of the Pirin Mountains at an elevation of 927 meters above sea level. It is a popular European ski resort. Once mainly a stockbreeding and travelling merchant community, it has become an international centre for winter and summer tourism. The mountain peaks near the town, the numerous lakes and the old pine woods make it a popular site for recreation. Bulgaria's share in European winter tourism is steadily rising and Bansko increasingly competes with resorts in France and Switzerland due to the comparative lower costs but not in quality. Improvements to the infrastructure and organisation of the ski area on Todorka have been made annually to accommodate the rising number of tourists. A gondola lift was built from the town in 2003, replacing the minibus ride to the primary base area of Banderishka Poliana. As of 2010, the ski area has 75 km of ski runs, 14 lifts and drags, serving up to 24,500 persons per hour. The lift served summit rises to an elevation of 2,600 meters above sea level. The vertical drop is nearly 1,000 meters to the base area at Banderishka Poliana and there are over 1,600 meters of ski runs to town.
Ski runs in Bansko:
• Beginners – 35%
• Intermediate – 40%
• Advanced – 25%
Bansko is a great place to ski and snowboard right from beginners though to experienced level, with lots of equipment hire shops and schools available, however along with it amazing scenery it has a lots more to offer, with plenty of restaurants and bars to enjoy lots of après ski. It also has a variety of shops and supermarkets. Other leisure activities include, ice skating, the 5 star Ian Woosnam designed Pirin golf course and country club, walking, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, horse riding, paintballing, rafting and cannoning.
Activities near Bansko
• International Jazz Festival – a week of 18th edition will be held in August 2015
• Summer Theatre Festival Bansko in June
• Opera Festival – end of August
• And many other cultural and children art events are organized frequently each weekend
• Since 2010 Bansko was approved from International Ski Federation (FIS) to organise starts of men and women World Ski Cup.
Bansko hosts two races of Alpine Skiing World Cup - Super G and Alpine Combined for women in ski season 2014-15
The resort is set forth as well in the program of the FIS for season 2015/16 with a super - G and downhill for women February 2016.
• Regular Ambassadors meeting and ski race is organized in February
• Since early 80’s Bansko host a National and Balkan ski races.
• November 2014 will be held 14 edition of International Mountain Film Fest
• For the third time in March 2015 will be held one week of electronic music event - HORIZON Festival with many in and out door scenes on the mountain.
• Local traditional celebrations for Christmas and New Year.
|Local sports activities
Within 15 minutes: Mountain biking, Swimming, Horse riding, Fishing, Skiing, Golf, Walking, Tennis
|Local leisure activities
On-site: Food shop, Restaurant, Museum, Shopping, Historic site
||Walking holiday, Sight-seeing, Romantic, Good night life, Winter sun break, Cycling holiday, Summer holidays, Ski Holidays